Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 6:Hanging in Castle Rock, CO


Today was a re-grouping day in Castle Rock. The town is named after a large mesa right above town that looks like a castle. It is a real landmark you can see from far away. (see pic, but there's no snow now.) Today I did such mundane tasks as laundry, washing the car and taking care of work things. I learned today you need a lot of quarters when you travel. You need them for washing machines, vending machines for "nutritious dinners" and Diet Coke addictions, parking in cities and even car washes. I have also learned you kinda become obsessive about a clean car on a road trip. That is, of course, because your car is now your home...your caravan across the desert...your covered wagon carrying all your stuff across the plains. Although I know it's going to get real dirty again, today I vacuumed with a passion at the do-it-yourself car wash. Those industrial vacuums are awesome....you really don't even have to clean out your car. They suck up everything within a 3 inch radius. I mean big stuff(I'm not going to tell you what exactly).
After cleaning the car and a visit to the UPS store, Winnie and I went to the movies. We saw District 9. All I can say is everyone should see it and the guy who plays the lead should get an Oscar. Afterwards, Winnie and I headed into the historic part of Castle Rock for dinner at the Castle Cafe. The cafe and bar was the "hell-raising" capital of "this here parts" for more than 100 years. The menu says there were shootouts and horses were ridden by drunk cowboys through the bar. This being Tuesday night, it was quiet and Winnie and I had a glass of wine and salad. (See pic.)


Big news.
When Winnie and I came back to the hotel, there was a pigeon in our room! He didn't fly but he was alive (likely exhausted from trying to get out, judging by the feathers and bird poop around the closet). I went and grabbed my key card and called Winnie to leave and alert the front desk. Then I thought, well this will take forever for someone to fix. And, hey, I've got a herding dog! I'm still freaking. But I put Winnie on a down about 6 feet off of the bird and go open the balcony door (which must have been how the poor bird got in). Luckily, the bird did not really fly. It got away from us a few times..and Winnie was about as nervous as I was. But once she saw it, she would do a "walk up" on it and together we were able to "herd" it out on the porch. Winnie knew she had "done good"..this was a real job! (I'm starting to talk like a rancher.) I was relieved. Too bad I didn't have presence of mind to take a photo of the ordeal! Not many herding pages have photos of dogs herding pigeons!

Tomorrow, we travel about 8 hours to Junction Cityh, KS. We are staying at a real working cattle ranch. (When I called for reservations, the lady rancher told me she has a sheltie!) I'm looking forward to getting on the road for more adventures with my dog.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sister! Mama just told me what you were up to so I just had to join as one of your followers! You crazy (but awesome) girl! I'm loving seeing what you're learning and doing! Keep it up... just be safe out there : ) Steve's brother Tom lives in KC, Mo. Not sure if you'll be close but he's funny and would be a gracious host if you needed anything. He's not working presently... Cell # 515-314-5756





















    you've written

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Tom could go with you to the Puppy Farm. Not only for moral support, but he's really TALL and might keep some nastiness from happening. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete