Friday, August 21, 2009

Day 2:Utah to Colorado



Hooray!! I got here! Another 8 hours of driving and I'm in Castlerock, CO at the "official" hotel for the herding clinic. But after 16 plus hours behind the wheel, my derriere (fr.) is so sore that I sprang for a jacuzzi suite upgrade (another $20 a night).

I came in thru I-70- a new highway for me. I passed through the Utah Spotted Wolf Canyon (see first picture above)with huge red rock mesas. Then Winnie and I had lunch on the Colorado River right after we passed into Colorado (see second pic). Through CO, I-70 follows the Colorado river then passes through all the high mountains where the ski resorts are (e.g. Vail, Cooper Mountain, Steamboat Springs, etc).

Here's what I learned today:
-It's a lot better to be in front of the big trucks going up the mountain passes, and behind the big trucks going down the mountains.
-There are a lot of hardcore skiers who stay in the high CO mountain in summer. You can tell. They are the drivers who race down the mountain hwys treating other cars as slalom poles.
-I get scared in tunnels that last longer than 2 minutes.
-Your dog doesn't care if you burp in the car..even if you don't say "excuse me."


I'm off to my Jacuzzi tub. I can't wait to meet all the handlers and their dogs tomorrow.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment