Sunday, September 6, 2009

Day 17: Second Day at Soldier Hollow

My mom is Vice-President of the Park City Newcomer's Club and she has made the Soldier Hollow trial an event for the club today. She recruited me to give a 30 minute talk about the trial and sheep herding in general. I don't really plan anything. I've only been herding about 2 years. But I sure have read a lot on the subject - both fact and fiction. I try to include all the interesting and fun things I've learned- the history, the great stories about border collies and, finally, how difficult and time-consuming the training is. It goes well. I'm happy because I have opened up the excitement and beauty of this sport to several new people. They love watching the dogs work!

Winnie's duck herding goes better today. It's frustrating on the ducks. I have just learned to slow things down with Winnie. But ducks are so fast (these especially) that I can't slow her down or the ducks are gone- especially with no fencing. Two of the women working with us are trainers and they give me some pointers. The advice is to let Winnie work a bit more. Let her chose which direction to take the ducks off the fence, and then just be glad she can do it. Save my battles for the bigger issues -- like stopping or going wide. I'm also reminded to "watch the stock" versus watching my dog. (No matter how many times we hear that, I guess us new handlers don't ever do that enough.)

Anyhow, we move the ducks a bit better today. Winnie is wider on her flanks and I am happy.
In between herding duck demos, we watch the trial. Below is a picture of Red Oliver- an octogenarian handler that has qualified for Soldier Hollow since the trial's inception. He is one of the few handlers that was able to pen their sheep today.

At Soldier Hollow, they also have a "splash dogs" competition. Dogs dive into the water (usually after a toy) and the winners are the dogs that jump furthest. (See pic)
When we walk around the trial (it's kinda gotta country fair going on at the same time), everyone wants to pet Winnie. I notice that she is not being her usual friendly self. Driving back to my mom's, it hits me that it is perhaps too hard on Winnie to meet the challenge of herding ducks in this situation and be an ever-lovable sheltie at the same time. Poor thing. I vow to not invite everyone to pet her tomorrow.

1 comment: