Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 13: Kansas City to Nebraska

Today I set out to Larry Painter's place about 45 minutes south of Kansas City. It's a journey of more farms and more unpaved roads. Larry has a nice 80 acre farm and his star herding Australian Cattle Dogs greet us when we pull up. (See pics- sorry I didn't get photos of Larry himself).


I like Larry right away- he doesn't make any comments about how Winnie is so little or so cute. He gets right to business and we start working. Of course, on the first outrun, Winnie runs straight up the middle (a very bad thing for all my non-herding friends). Larry states we don't allow that. I explain what I have been working on with Tammy- trying to get her to slow down, think and rate the stock. Whenever Winnie gets too close or is too fast, Larry has me say "hey" and gradually build up pressure with my voice and the crook and my body until she stops and looks at me. Of course, Winnie must be "pressured" to the back of the barn before she stops and submits. But, with Larry's encouragement, we keep this up until Winnie starts to stop and look at me sooner and sooner. When she does, I turn away and release the pressure - her signal that this is what I want. After a bit (okay, maybe a long bit), Winnie is giving me square flanks (versus running at the stock) and is starting to slow down and "rate" the stock while she moves them toward me. Larry teaches me to not start out with a blood-curdling "hey", but rather to make it softer at first and only build up intensity if she doesn't stop and listen. Larry takes Winnie by the leash and demonstrates: he says a low-toned, soft "hey" (kinda like a growl) and Winnie immediately sits, ears back and looks plaintively at him. That's the power I want with my dog (still gonna look into making an "Alpha Bitch" t-shirt). Write me if you want one :)
Larry is very generous with his time and advice. I am so thankful to have an opportunity to take the next step in the training I started with Tammy and see the "picture" of how Winnie is supposed to rate stock. Larry tells me to practice the "hey" command with Winnie in the next couple days and hopefully that will help us when we get to Soldier Hollow this weekend. Larry says Winnie is a "nice dog" a few times. I have a feeling that's a high compliment from him. I think it says a lot about his skill as a trainer if he can apply the same techniques to cattle dogs and shelties. I thank him for seeing me last minute and get on the road for Nebraska.

Note to everyone:beware, your GPS can freeze!! You know how your computer freezes sometimes? While your GPS can do the same thing. On my way to Nebraska, my GPS kept saying 20 something miles to the turnoff. I kept looking- it was still a ways, so I was sightseeing and listening to the radio. Then, I start to think it maybe said 29 miles the last time I looked...sure enough, it had "froze" and I was on a 30 mile detour into Iowa!! (Turns out it looks just like Nebraska anyhow.)

Okay, back on track for Nebraska. So far in this trip, I haven't pulled off for much, but I saw a sign for a Pendleton Outlet store in Nebraska City, so I went.
Nebraska City is a lot like most of the towns I've seen on this trip. Interesting, historical buildings lining a "main street", but the buildings are almost all abandoned and/or rundown. (See pic)

Not many thriving old towns around these parts. After buying a classic Indian Blanket coat for me and a wool shirt for hubby, Winnie and I walk a bit around town. A bar and an antique shop are open...nothing like the Starbucks on every corner in CA towns (I was thinking a Starbucks would be nice).

Winnie and I drive to Kearney, NE to stay the night. Many of the trails West converged in Kearney( e.g. Mormon Trail, the California Trail, the Oregon Trail, the 49'ers Trail, the Pony Express and the Overland State Coach). There pioneers followed the Platte River to the West (it assured water and they wouldn't get lost). Kearney has an Archway Monument Bridge that spans I-80 with a three-story museum inside. (See pic)
I debate seeing it, but decided I didn't have time. Winnie is tired from working with Larry earlier in the day, so we crash. This is my first time in Nebraska (I keep hearing Bruce Springsteen songs in my head when I drive).

No comments:

Post a Comment