Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 15: Wyoming to Utah

I get up early because I have an appointment at the car dealership in Salt Lake City as 10 a.m. I was overdue for maintenance before the trip- and I'm WAY OVERDUE now (3,000 miles later).

I'm driving I-80 into town with the morning work traffic. There's this flashing "amber alert" type sign on the interstate - it reads "19 dead on I-80!" OMG! What a terrible accident..and I'm going right into it! I put on the brakes trying to get my mind around it. Then I realize, they must mean 19 dead on
I-80 like in a year all year or something. Well, it sure scared me and got my attention.

While my car is serviced, the dealership drives me to the mall- Nordstorms! I don't buy anything there but lunch. When I get my car back, I drive to my mother's house in Park City.
It's as good as being home! I have a nice bubble bath, a glass of wine and my first home cooked meal in over two weeks! It feels so good to be at my mama's house. I enjoy just talking to my mom and being close to her...really I guess I missed genuine human company on my trip.

Tomorrow is Soldier Hollow. Winnie is doing a duck demo at the Soldier Hollow International Invitational Border Collie Trial. I'm nervous. I just want her to be decent. She doesn't have to be great - I know she's invited mainly because she's a cute sheltie. But I want to show we have made progress (we did this last year) and I don't want her to eat any ducks! I make Winnie sleep in a separate bed tonight..she doesn't seem to mind. We are working on our discipline in every aspect of our day-to-day lives- going up stairs, waiting to go outdoors, waiting to eat, getting in the car - I'm trying to make my dominance clear so it will carry over to herding. But I'm just happy to be here and I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment