Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 12: St. Louis to Kansas City,Mo

I get a late start today. For the first time since the entire road trip I sleep in ('til 9:30). I get some work done on my computer. I am thinking about calling Roscoe's owner to see if they will sell him to me. I don't feel pressed to do so, because he is clearly not miserable where with the Mennonite family (they have about 3kids). A friend that breeds shelties writes to me to say Roscoe's coat just looks like it needs a good brushing (versus a disease) and his teeth situation occurs in shelties, "even in the best of lines." I also am concerned about thrusting him into our life- I haven't asked anyone in my family. I am also concerned about the effect on Winnie. We already have two other large rescue dogs (a Newfoundland and a pit bull mix). Bottom line: I don't feel compelled to try to get Roscoe. And I also feel I'm being a little presumptuous in assuming I am "rescuing" him. So I decide to just hold on to the number and call them to say "if ever" they want to give Roscoe a retirement home, we will take him.

I am also feeling anxious and impatient about Winnie and herding. I want to get better! I want to work on her rating! I know she can do it and it is just practice she needs. I remember Tammy said her favorite clinician, Larry Painter, is in Mo. So...I get on the Internet and find out he's just south of Kansas City I leave a message asking if he can give me a herding lesson this afternoon or tomorrow.

I get on the road around noon. I decide to stay in Kansas City, just in case I hear from Larry Painter. Okay, honestly, I decide I want a nice hotel. If I'm in podunk nowhere, I don't mind staying in a podunk hotel. But if I'm in the big city, I want a nice hotel. I'm a room service kinda girl. And I love the historic hotels in the center of town. So, pulled over at a rest area, I google on my blackberry "best historic hotel in Kansas City." The best "hit" seems to be "The Raphael." This is from the website:"Originally constructed in 1927 as the Villa Serena Apartments, the Spanish Renaissance Revival-style building was transformed into the elegant Raphael Hotel in 1975 following a renovation that faithfully preserved historic features while providing for the comforts of contemporary travelers." See pic.<
I arrive around 6:00 p.m. I am very happy - there is something about the graciousness, service and amenities of a nice hotel that helps you relax. I acknowledge I'm spoiled from years of business travel paid for by my former law firm. The hotel overlooks Country Club Plaza - a very nice outdoor shopping area in Kansas City. I get Winnie and we go out strolling, there is a nice bridge and park over the Missouri River(?) and lots of friendly people visiting the shops and restaurants in the Plaza, which goes on for about 3 blocks in each direction. (see pic of Plaza driving into Raphael Hotel). <
It feels good to walk.

We come back and it is room service time! I know KC is famous for beef. I'm not a big steak person, but I believe in experiencing the attributes of the places you travel. With advice of the nice young man who answers the phone, I order a petite fillet, salad and a glass of red wine. Wow- I have never had steak like his. It was succulent and you hardly even needed to chew it. I've had halibut in Alaska....how halibut is in Alaska versus the lower 48 is how steak in KC is compared to other places. I like it so much, I don't even give Winnie a piece!
I take a hot bubble bath, using the big robes they provide and read a book in bed. Oh, I watch Mad Men on HBO. I don't have TV at home so this is the first time I'd seen the show. It was good- funny and scary at the same time. I'm old enough to at least have residual aversion to the suppression and falsity of that time that the series portrays. I think of my poor mother- married and raising a family at that time. Finally, at about 10:30 at night, I get an email from Larry Painter's wife. She says to call in the morning, that he can probably fit me in for a lesson tomorrow!!! Hooray!

2 comments:

  1. Hi sister! I keep checking back here to see what next you've been up to. Glad you slept in... glad you treated yourself to some luxury! I keep wondering how I'd fare living out of a car... and a small one at that! I'd need way more luggage room than the Mini allows : ) Or way more nice hotels, bubble baths and HBO! Am so glad that you get to see Larry the Trainer guy. You seem to have luck on your side out there... or you're just a nice person.... I think it's both :) Am glad you left Roscoe for now... think it'd be disrupting for all of the doggies... but that's just like you to think, "there's always room and food for one more!" Keep up the great blog... miss you, love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Steve Miller, Director of Operations for Lighthouse Properties which own and operates The Raphael Hotel. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and room service order. Please visit us again on your journies.

    ReplyDelete